Please review general WordPress documentation on my website, https://www.madriverweb.com/client-pages/wordpress-basic-documentation/, or search the internet as needed. Below information is specific to this site.
A reminder that the Screen Options in the upper right of any panel or page can help you de-clutter or find a feature not currently visible.
Posts (Specials and Events)
While looking at the Posts list, to order the posts by date, hover over the white space to show the 4-arrow icon, then drag and drop. During the change of calendar years, you may have to temporarily drag a January event down below December events or specials.
Input title and post content; all of this will show on the Specials page. For posts with a lot of content, to minimize the amount that shows on home page sidebar, copy a small amount such as date into the Excerpt field below. Home page will show excerpt if it exists, or entire content.
Select appropriate category at right in the admin. This only matters for home page organization. The specials page will display as ordered.
When an active post needs to be returned to inactive or vice versa:
- While in the individual post admin, click Edit beside Status in upper right Publish block, set to Draft, click OK, then Update.
- OR, while in the Posts list, hover over a post name, click Quick Edit below it, change Status at right.
If you choose to blog, we can add additional categories and specify which types of content populate which pages.
To edit, open the desired “Page.”
If you want to add new, we should discuss navigation; the menus are currently “full.” Feel free to begin this process by creating the page.
See below to add a Featured Image or MetaSlider. Programming prioritizes MetaSlider if one exists, then Featured Image if one exists.
Add rows and links in the To Do page:
Reference this screenshot for how a full table row <tr> appears. <td> means table data and represents the three columns:
- Open/edit the To Do page. Decide where the new item will go in the table.
- If desired in the Visual tab, highlight the text in the row below where the new item will go, or be prepared to find it in the Text view.
- Click the Text tab, upper right of this content field (on the To Do page).
- Find the row to be copied. Re-do the highlight to be sure the full code is copied from <tr> through </tr>. Copy.
- Click cursor before <tr>. Paste. See if it looks correct.
- Click Visual tab. Again, see if it looks correct. Click Update if you want to check it on the live page.
- Delete/modify one column at a time.
- Open the destination website in a new window and copy the URL (or have the text ready to type).
- Back in your admin To Do list (Visual tab), highlight the item in the first column, click the link icon, click the gear, paste or type the URL, check “Open link in a new tab,” and click Add Link.
- Click Update. Check the live page.
The following three images sizes will be created automatically when an image is uploaded:
- 160px wide in sidebars, by about 120 high with some variation, older “thumbnail”
- Sidebars can alternatively use medium images and they will be properly constrained
- 420px wide in slideshows and pages, by 300 or 315 high with some variation, “medium”
- Special case: 640px wide x 480 high on the Garden Room
- The new “large” size, 718 wide x 540 high max, will fill the width of the content column
- 1140 x 400 “featured” image which is specifically a crop through the middle of the original
Featured Image: If you want to place a single “featured” image at the top of a page under the navigation, select it at right while in the page admin. If you prefer a different section of an image, you will need to edit the image in the Media Library by scaling and cropping to final dimensions 1140px wide x 400 high.
I had said a “featured” image can also be attached to a post, but don’t do it this way–it will not show. Place an image inside the post content field, choose size and alignment, generally no link, add caption if desired.
Sidebars / Widgets
Most pages have sidebars containing images specific to that page, selected at right in the admin. Expand the Sidebar, expand the widgets, modify or add as desired.
The primary sidebar appears on all other pages including Specials which is an archive of posts (not a page, technically the blog).
All slide shows are created within MetaSlider, then specified within a page or post.
Modify existing or add new.
- To create a new slide show with same settings as an existing slide show, click Add New when one with desired settings is selected.
- Most likely you will want to start creating slide shows with larger images. If so, simply change the sizes once you add new. Name it in the tab at top.
- The Garden Room has larger images at 640 x 480px, but these are actually displaying at 718 x 539px on the largest viewing size (because I selected 100% width in the Advanced Settings).
- Although images are pre-saved upon upload, the MetaSlider will save any newly specified sizes as long as the original is at least as large.
- MetaSlider images want to be 718 x ~540 within the body of a page or 1140 x 400 for headers.
- Under Advanced Settings, most are done with Smart Crop and they are all the same size/shape.
- If mixing different shapes as in About the Inn #1, select Disabled (Smart Pad). Note: The only problem with this is it will use full sized images because it shrinks the image until the larger dimension fits. This can result in slow loading, especially on phones. Best to size these smaller in the Media Library before putting into a variable shaped MetaSlider.
- When placing a MetaSlider within a page, copy the shortcode from the right sidebar into the place on the page where you want it to appear.
- When you want a MetaSlider at the top of a page under the Nav, note the shortcode ID number to be placed in the page, from the right column of the MetaSlider.
- Take a look at the About and Seasons pages to see how it is done. Scroll down until you see Custom Fields. If you don’t see it, expand your Screen Options upper right and make sure Custom Fields is checked to display.
- Go to the appropriate page. Under Name select metaslider_shortcode, under Value enter the ID. Click Add Custom Field, update the page.
Test Page shows metasliders within the page but not at correct size.